Thursday, October 20, 2011

Personal Growth? Or Prevalent Boredom?

I received an email today from one of my professors asking me to volunteer to help with my school's upcoming Open House as a representative of one of the programs. Sort of talk to prospective students about the benefits of this program for first year students. And for the first time I'm genuinely considering doing volunteer work for something other than coaching high school football.
I don't know what all this "job" would entail, or what I would gain from it, but I am strongly considering it nonetheless. I am having a hard time patting myself on the back for this potential volunteering, as I can't quite figure out why I want to do it.

 Am I just becoming a more outgoing and caring person? Am I so bored that volunteering seems fun compared to what I would normally do on a Saturday afternoon?

Perhaps I'm over-analyzing this, but I can't recall the last time I actually looked forward to doing something that is of no tangible benefit to myself. I'd like to think that I'm growing as a person and becoming more open to new experiences, but how much can one change in two months? As recently as early September, the thought of me putting in unpaid time and effort for something was laughable at best.

Maybe I'll have fun and meet new people. Here's hoping!

-Onward and Upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment