Friday, October 21, 2011

I Have the Body of John Wilkes Booth

On Tuesday I applied for a travel study program that would earn me 6 credits toward my BA History degree. I won't know for at least a few days whether or not I'll be accepted but I'm keeping my fingers crossed in the mean time. I've never travelled outside of Canada before so I'm waiting for acceptance, then immediately applying for my Passport upon acceptance.
From there it's simply a matter of waiting. The trip is in late May - early June, so I really shouldn't be nearly as excited as I am at this point. That's still a long way off, and there are a thousand variables that could go wrong and prevent me from travelling.

I guess I'm just being an optimist. I know this is a great opportunity for me to expand my world views and gain some insight to the plight of others.

Now, this isn't a trip to some exotic locale that is basically an excuse for the professor to travel at the expense of the students. It is, instead a trip to Washington D.C. and several important sites of Civil War battles. Gettysburg, Antietam and other sites, including the theater in which Abraham Lincoln was assassinated, and several fantastic museums.

The trip is not cheap though, and for the price this 12 day trip will cost me, I could probably spend a month or so in Mexico at an all inclusive resort. But I will get a lot more out of this trip than I would from lounging around drunk on a beach.

Here's hoping it all works out in my favor. Let me know what you think of this opportunity.

-Onward and Upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment