Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Student's Lament

Well, I'm exactly one week from being on my way back to the hometown after my first year of university. It's a bittersweet feeling, being finished the semester and hopefully having at least a 3.3 GPA for the term is exciting, but I'm not looking forward to the Summer at all.
Partially it's me not wanting to work 12 hour days all summer again as I normally do, but don't mistake this for a rant about how lazy I am. I have met more genuine and fun people in 8 months of university than my previous 21 years of life combined.

It's a great feeling to walk into a room and have people happy to see you and have random people come up to you in the bar and be excited to talk to you, having met you in the previous weeks. Now, I'm not saying "Oh gods yes, I'm finally popular!" I'm not delusional, I don't think  I'm popular but rather I believe that the people I surround myself with now are more genuine and friendly than everybody back home. I finally feel welcome and like people are happy to see me which tells me I'm doing something right. When I go home for the Summer, there's maybe 3 people not including family who will be happy to see me.

These last few weeks have been incredibly fun and I know nothing will compare to them over the summer. Not just the partying, which I don't plan to do all summer, but the company with whom I've been partying. From beautiful women who are incredibly fun and genuinely interesting to the guys who just want to make sure we're all having a good time rather than chasing tail nonstop, it's a wonderful bunch of people.

All this being said, I am looking forward to making money again, and seeing my awesome pets and my wonderful family. It's just hard to be excited for what's likely to be a boring and tedious summer when I'm having so much fun at school, between partying, learning, and just trying new things.


No comments:

Post a Comment