Monday, April 9, 2012

Letter to my Aunt and her husband


My cousin recently passed away when he crashed his helicopter, to honor his memory I wrote my aunt a letter since I can't make it to the funeral because of school. Go ahead and read if you want.







Dear Bev and Mike,
I am extremely sorry for your loss and I wish I could be there in your time of mourning. I know that nothing I do could ever make up for the loss of your wonderful son but please know that my thoughts are with you during these difficult times. 

Though I did not know Matt well, I will always remember the times when we were all young and how happy he always was. I have been told by those fortunate enough to know him better than I did that he was still that positive and fun person. I envy that he was able to pursue his passion by becoming a pilot. We should all be so lucky as to become what we wish when we finally decide to grow up.

I can only imagine the pain you are feeling, but know that your friends and your family are here to help you through that pain. This tragedy is a reminder of how precious little time we each have on Earth, and to do anything less than live our lives as joyfully as Matt did would be to do disservice to his memory. Instead we should follow the example he left behind and pursue that which we are passionate about and leave a positive imprint on those around us.

It is with a heavy heart that I write this letter and I wish I had the time and money to attend the funeral, but do know that my thoughts are with you and I will always remember Matt as the energetic and cheerful boy who grew up to follow his dreams.

2 comments:

  1. This is absolutely beautiful and thank you so much for posting. I realize it was very personal, but the message was, for me at least, helpful and uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, it was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to write but I felt that it would maybe benefit some others.

      Delete