Monday, March 19, 2012

So Kiss Me, I'm Shit Faced (A Freshman Retrospective)

I'd like to start off by saying I hope everybody had as fun of a St. Patrick's weekend as I did. Started off with a Fred Penner concert on Friday night, met the man and got a photo and autograph, then went to a fairly epic bash on Saturday night and got absolutely shit faced listening to live Celtic music. I spent the better part of the night talking this girl into coming over to hang out with my roommate (Wingman Level: 99) and she did. Not too sure what all happened and even if I was sure I wouldn't get into it on here.

As I'm writing this I'm procrastinating from the research I should be doing for my American History term paper. I just felt like maybe getting some of the creative energy out of my brain and onto a page might help me focus some more.

I'm nearly finished my first year of university, and can't wait for my 2nd year to begin. If I didn't need to make money to save up for next year I would continue on through the summer. University has been the best thing to happen in my life so far, I have always felt I would be well suited for the Post-Secondary life, but it really has been everything I hoped for. I'm not the kind of guy to go to the bar and try to pick up girls, nor am I the kind of guy to just go nuts when I'm partying, I'm more of a social drinker and 9 times out of 10 I prefer getting tipsy in a pub and chatting with friends. I've been doing a lot of that lately and it's gotten to the point where I go just for the company rather than for drinks. (I still drink, that's just not the reason for going.) And the student pub on campus has been an awesome place to meet like-minded students, as well as develop inter-personal relationships with some of the History faculty.

Being around people who are also in University for the sake of higher learning rather than the sake of pleasing their parents has been great. I love knowing that I can talk to the people I hang around with about school, or about their plans for the weekend. Getting out of the toxic "living for the weekend" environment of my hometown has changed me for the better. For the most part I'm completely happy with my life now that I'm in university and feel I'm actually accomplishing something. The few things/people that continue to drag me down are slowly being phased out of my life, and I've never felt better.

When I'm finished exams and back in my hometown for the Summer I will probably write more about what I learned about myself, and about other people in my first year of University.

Until then, enjoy and feel free to give your own insights.

No comments:

Post a Comment