Saturday, February 21, 2015

A Confession

What I'm about to tell you may seem strange. It may seem like the rantings of someone lacking sleep, or even like I'm just fucking with you. But trust me when I say this is the honest truth.
For as long as I can remember I've seen things that no one else sees. I'm not talking about paying more attention to the small details around me...though maybe that's part of it.

No, I'm talking about when you see things out of the corner of your eye when you're sleep deprived, or high, or just watched a scary movie and it's dark in your house. Those...things... that you see out of the corner of your eye...I see those as plain as day.

The silhouette of a person that disappears when you blink, or turn to look at it? The one you convince yourself was your mind playing tricks or just your imagination? I can look directly at that silhouette, watch as it becomes a man, and watch even further as it twists itself into impossible shapes.

I know. I know. I sound like a crazy person, some sort of schizophrenic who sees things that aren't there. I get it. Believing me would mean completely relearning the world you think you know.

I don't expect you to believe me. I just need to tell somebody...anybody...

Science fiction or horror stories would explain this as me seeing fragments of a parallel dimension. That some near death experience or some fluke of my biology allows me to glimpse these horrors across temporal plains.

I never bought into that bullshit.

As new age and faux enlightened as it sounds, you just have to be willing to accept that the things we tell ourselves aren't there...really are.

When your cat sits staring at the corner of a room, or your little kid swears he saw something in the closet, your mind insists that there's nothing there. Because only crazy people believe in demons and ghosts and boogiemen.

Right?

Only crazy people.

Open your mind for just a minute, the next time you're walking home in the dark, just remember this confession. Tell yourself that maybe that movement you saw in the corner of your eye wasn't just a trick of the lighting.

Don't look though.

If you turn and look at it you won't see anything.

At least...not yet.

Think back to when you were a kid, waking up in the middle of the night with the feeling that in some dark corner of your room was some indescribable monster, and pulling the blanket over your head to protect yourself from it.

Now imagine being an adult, and not just having that feeling, but being able to see the creature, that horrible, spider-like thing watching you from across the room.

This is my life.

I see things that no one else can see.

And if I tell anyone they'll think I'm insane, or they'll give me drugs to make me stop seeing these things.

But I know that this is real.

The hair standing up on the back of your neck...the feeling that something is crawling on you...I know the truth of all of it.

This is my confession to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment